LEVEL 5 Diploma in Education and Training Management
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which has a mandatory teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in England. All learners must have access to 100 hours of teaching and there must be a minimum of eight observations of practice, totalling a minimum of eight hours.
The objective of the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is to give the learner the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills needed to confirm occupational competence. This includes the planning and delivering of schemes of work and sessions, negotiation of individual goals, different teaching and learning strategies, communication issues and how to utilise a range of assessment practices. Additionally, optional units are available allowing the learner to explore areas directly relevant to their own teaching role.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is appropriate for teachers, tutors, trainers, lecturers and instructors who may be working within an FE college, Adult and Community Learning Centre. Learning Provider or for those delivering work-based training such as within voluntary, community, private and public organisations.
This qualification is only suitable for teaching learners who are 14 and over.
Quality, Standards and Recognitions
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
The Education Training Foundation has approved the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training for accreditation. Learners successfully completing this qualification will be eligible to progress to the status of QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills)
QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills) status is the badge of professionalism for post-14 education and training, helping practitioners advance in their careers and demonstrate their expertise and experience to colleagues, employers and learners
This is conferred through a separate and subsequent process called professional formation and is administered by the Society for Education and Training (SET) which is the professional body for those working as teachers and trainers in the sector.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification, learners must:
- Hold a relevant vocational and/or academic qualification of at least the level above that of their learners and ideally a minimum Level 3 qualification in his/her own area of specialism.
- Have access to 100 teaching practice hours during which learners have full responsibility for planning, delivering and assessing specific area/s of the institution’s provision.
- Minimum core of literacy, language, numeracy and ICT
- Learners must be 19 years old or older at the beginning of the course
If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country, they must provide evidence of English language competency before being accepted to the programme that is both taught and assessed in English as follows:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) 51
- IELTS 5.5; Reading and Writing must be at 5.5
NOTE: If the student has not taken one of the above English tests, he/she will be invited to take the Institute’s English test. This test is free for all our prospective students.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is equivalent to the Certificate of Education (CertEd). It is also a good alternative to the Postgraduate Certificate in Education. This Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training will enable you to apply for QTLS status and be a recognised qualified teacher. Teachers with QTLS can also teach in schools.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification consists of 4 mandatory units plus 8 optional units, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and the recommended Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for this qualification is a minimum of 360. The maximum guided learning hours will be determined by the optional units selected.
To achieve the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training, learners must achieve a minimum of 120 credits; 75 credits must be achieved from the mandatory units in Group A, plus a minimum of 45 credits from the optional units in Group B.
A minimum of 61 credits must be at Level 5 (therefore a minimum of 6 optional credits must be achieved at level 5)
The learner will need to meet the requirements before OTHM can award the qualification, i.e. achieve the appropriate mandatory and optional units, as well as satisfactorily complete teaching practice.
Mandatory units: Group A
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training (20 credits)
- Theories, principles and models in education and training (20 credits)
- Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training (20 credits
- Wider professional practice in education and training (15 credits)
Optional Units: Group B
- Develop and prepare resources for learning and development (6 credits)
- Develop learning and development programmes (6 credits)
- Equality and diversity (6 credits)
- Evaluating learning programmes (3 credits)
- Identify the learning needs of organizations (6 credits)
- Manage learning and development in groups (6 credits)
- Understanding and managing behaviors in a learning environment (6 credits)
- Action research (15 credits)
Diploma Duration : 9 months
Fees : 4500 euros per year
Intake : October Intake – January Intake